Bryant-Denny Stadium has been the home of Alabama football since 1929
and was first known as the George Hutchenson Denny Stadium. The state
legislature renamed the stadium "Bryant-Denny Stadium" in 1975
honoring Legendary Coach Paul W. Bryant. Denny Stadium opened on
September 28, 1929 and was officially dedicated the following week at
Homecoming ceremonies. In 1937 the first expansion of the stadium
took place as 6,000 seats were added on the east side and brought
capacity to 18,000. In 1950, capacity grew to 25,000. In 1961, the
grandstands reached 61 rows and capacity was 43,000. The capacity
grew to 60,000 in 1966 and then to 70,123 in 1988.
The next expansion, completed in August of 1998, moved capacity to 83,818 by adding the east side upper deck. The new deck provided 10,000 additional bleacher seats and 81 skyboxes on two levels. The skyboxes were built in two sizes: 24-seat capacity (18) and 16-seat capacity (63). In 1999, four additional skyboxes were built to bring total skybox capacity to 85. A scoreboard with video display capabilities was erected in the south endzone, as well as new light towers for the east side of the stadium. A new east side entrance tower a brick facade and reception areas for the Scholarship and A-Club level patrons was also added during the 1998 expansion.
One of the most recent $47 million renovation project, Bryant-Denny Stadium has undergone yet another expansion, this time increasing capacity to 92,138 making it the seventh-largest on-campus football stadium in the nation.
The expansion project, which began immediately following the 2004 football season, also added three levels of premium seating , a pair of large video scoreboards in the north end zone and state-of-the-art wrap-around display boards situated on the facades of the east and west upper decks.
Bryant-Denny has long been a stadium feared by opponents. The Crimson Tide owns an impressive 210-43-3 all-time record at the stadium, and has boasted sellouts at all Tuscaloosa games since 1988. Bryant-Denny is the fifth-largest stadium in the Southeastern Conference.
Construction on the roughly 9,000-seat expansion to the stadium's south end zone stadium has begun, and the expansion should be ready for the 2010 season. This project will raise its capacity to more than 101,000 seats.